We often eat Popeye’s chicken and love it, have we ever had Popeyes biscuits?
Popeye’s biscuit is a baked snack like bread that is very crunchy, dense, it’s not a very famous food, but one bite of this Popeye’s biscuit can make you wonder why Popeye’s biscuits not popular as their chicken.
Crispy texture with buttery aroma, this recipe makes buttermilk biscuits perfect. Try decorating your table once in a while with these delicious treats.
Copycat Popeye’s Biscuits
If you are experienced in baking, you may find it boring if this biscuit recipe deals with dough. Especially if we start from scratch for the manufacture.
Not to worry, I gave this recipe to a friend who almost never bakes cakes, but what happened? He made according to the recipe and the results were amazing, perfect.
Making copycat papeyes biscuits is not very difficult, those of you who have never experienced in the kitchen can definitely make them. You can even make noisy butter biscuits in just 45 minutes.
When making biscuits, of course you have to make things easy first. Mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the butter, and it’s got to be fun!
The cold butter used here will certainly make the biscuits more fluffy and soft. Maybe you will not get the perfect soft texture like this if you use melted butter.
Butter is hard, you have to cut it into fine pieces, maybe the size of a pea, and of course you don’t want your butter to melt either, so don’t stir it too much.
Then, there is milk and buttermilk, if you want your butter to stay cold even though it has been added to the dough, then you should use cold milk.
The taste of buttermilk is very subtle, but a little sharp, this is what makes Popeyes biscuits different from other foods in the world.
If you don’t have it, you can still use regular milk. But the best thing is that you can buy a new one in the store (not replace it with regular milk) for the perfect biscuit result.
Well, when the dry and wet ingredients have been mixed well, you already have the dough. The dough will be very sticky, so be sure to coat your surface with plenty of flour.
I like to sprinkle more flour on top before rolling it out.
Also, before cutting the biscuits with a cookie cutter or with a glass, you should make them an inch thick, maybe a little thin, but rest assured your popeyes will rise, expand, and will look more attractive when you put them in the oven.
When you place or place your biscuits on the baking sheet, make them close together, so this way they won’t have much room to rise.
Prepare the butter because your biscuits are light brown in color, and they can be served in less than 25 minutes. Sprinkle with butter and allow to cool, enjoying the best buttermilk biscuits you will ever make.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Buttermilk Biscuits
Here are some tips and tricks to be able to produce your best biscuits, when they come out of the oven they will be very tasty and perfect.
- Use cold butter, cold butter can create steam in the biscuits when baked, and then expand to form a distinctive biscuit
- Butter should stay cool and solid in the dough, so you have to cut it into small pieces, you can also use a grater to make your butter small.
- Not only butter, but also baking soda and baking powder also play a role in determining the height of your biscuits. Use fresh baking soda and baking powder.
- Buttermilk gives a tangy taste and gives a lot of softness to your biscuits. So, use quality buttermilk, if not, use normal milk, but this can affect the texture and taste. For the best biscuit results, don’t skip using buttermilk.
- Be careful with your biscuits, if you stir too much, this can cause your biscuits to harden, causing the butter to melt, stir until combined.
- If you want your biscuits to be perfect, soft and flaky, fold your dough three times to make the dough thick, then roll gently. This is a simple trick to make Popeye’s biscuits with the results you expect.
- Do not cover the edges of the dough, when you cut the biscuits with a cutter or with a glass, you just press it and lift it. If the edges are a bit rough, this is not a problem, avoid turning the cutters, as this can cover the edges of the biscuits and prevent your dough from rising properly.
- When the biscuits are ready to be placed on the baking sheet, arrange them close together, this will prevent your biscuits from rising too large, and getting the buttermilk biscuits extra tall and soft.
- Spread melted butter over biscuits, then freshly baked, this is a must. If you want more flavor, there are many ways to dress buttermilk biscuits. If you want a savory topping, try sprinkling with sausage sauce, tomato sauce, or cheese. You can also use sweet treats like honey, apple cider, jam, delicious bourbon jelly.
How to Make Popeye’s Biscuits
For the steps and ingredients for making buttermilk or Popeye’s biscuits, follow the steps below.
Popeye’s Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter: COLD
- 1/4 cup milk
- To Brush on Top: 2 TBS butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, beat all dry ingredients, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the dry ingredients, use a knife to stir as you chop the butter or use a blender.
- Stir the buttermilk and milk until your dough can be shaped
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough so that on a lightly floured surface, roll out and flatten the dough about inch.
- Use a cookie cutter or glass to cut your biscuit dough, place it on a baking sheet that has been lined with butter.
- Bake for 22 minutes to 24 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with melted butter and serve.