Mole Plant is a plant from Southern Europe such as France, Greece, Italy, Northwest Africa, Northeast to Southwest and even China. The mole plant is called Euphorbia Lathyris where it belongs to the Spurge family. The mole plant has many health benefits due to its nutritional content. In community life, this plant has many names according to the area where it grows.
Some other names for the mole plant are Caper spurge, Gopherplant, Mole plant, Moleplant, Myrtle spurge, Paper spurge, Gopher spurge, Petroleum plant, mole weed, myrtle spurge, Wide caper, euphorbia-oil plant, spring wort, caper bush, gopher spurge, spurge and sassy jack. The genus name for this plant is Euphorbes. Recently, the mole plant has been found to contain toxins in its white sap.
Lathyris is a species name that comes from the Greek word used for spurge. This plant is generally known as the mole plant. One of the functions of this plant is to prevent moles come to your garden or park, which are said to dislike the smell of plant roots. Likewise the taste caused by worms. In America, the mole plant is known as the Gopher Spurge or Gopher Plant for almost the same reason. This plant is poisonous, not only the plants but also the seeds are poisonous. The latex from this plant can produce a rash on the skin or cuts. Although poisonous to humans and some other animals, but the mole plant seems safe for goats, this is proven where goats love to eat it. This poison is excreted through goat’s milk.
Mole plant or Euphorbia Lathyris is a perennial, biennial or even perennial plant that grows to a height of 1.5 meters with stems that are blue green. We often find this plant thriving in parks, landfills, riverbeds, coasts, grasslands, sand dunes, lancet, scrub and on farmland.
The leaves of the mole plant are in pairs, arranged oppositely and lanceolate, the length of the leaves is about 5–15 cm and 1-2.5 cm wide. The color of the mole plant flowers is green to yellowish. The flowering period occurs in Mai-June.
In Victoria, the mole or caper spurge was considered a weed to get rid of. Likewise with Tasmania and ACT. Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, mole plants are actually used as ornamental plants and have been widely naturalized. In Victoria, this plant has even been registered as an invasive weed plant, and as a shrub that lives on riverbanks.
Health Benefits of Mole Plant
Even mole is considered a weed in some countries. However, this plant actually has health benefits that can be obtained. Among the health benefits that can be obtained from this plant are as follows:
1. Overcoming difficulty urinating
If you have trouble getting a little water, you can take advantage of the seeds of this plant. The seeds can be processed into pills for oral consumption. This is useful for solving problems with urination.
2. Relieves pain, inflammation and swelling
We can take advantage of the seeds of the mole plant, pound the seeds until smooth and drink. This will cause diarrhea and solve the problem of edema (swelling due to fluid retention).
3. Snake bite medicine
Snakes are venomous animals that are dangerous if they bite. However, if you are hit by a poisonous snake attack, you can try the mole plant seeds to treat it. Mash the seeds of the mole plant into a powder and mix it with your saliva, then apply it to the snake bite marks.
4. Benefits of mole plant as an anti-cancer
There is preliminary research which states that fresh mole plants are useful for having an effect on slowing down leukemia cells.
Traditional Benefits and Uses of Mole Plant
- In the past, the caper spurge or mole plant was used as an extreme laxative. Meanwhile, the rubefacient action of the leaves is the raw material used by beggars to inflict wounds on their skin. This is done by beggars to attract affection and sympathy so that they are given money.
- Part of the mole plant is a laxative, now considered a poisonous plant that has not been used freely. Further research is needed to determine the toxicity level and further benefits.
- The latex in the stem is used as a natural remedy for hair removal, however it can be irritating, and is not 100% safe for use.
- The seeds are diuretic, purgative and parasiticide.
- The mole plant has been used as a medicine for basal disease, tumors, edema, snake bites, scabies, amenorrhea, and as a schistosomiasis drug.
- Fresh seeds from the mole plant contain anti-tumor properties, which are effective against leukemia, acute lymphocytes and granulocytic leukemia.
- The health benefits of mole are also known as anti-cancer, anti-septic, emetic, purgative and anti-cathartic.
- One mole plant capsule is said to cause catharsis and in some cases to cause abortion.
- In the world of traditional medicine, the caper spurge plant is used as a cancer medicine, warts, corn, and is used by beggars to cause wounds or ulcers on their bodies (to attract sympathy).
Other Facts of Mole Plant
- The seeds can be processed into clear oil
- This plant is a strong poison, can cleanse and irritate the intestines and cause pain in the intestines (be careful).
- When it is fresh, the seeds are used as medicine
- The latex (latex) on the leaves can be processed into vehicle fuel
- The mole plant is useful for repelling moles and mice.
The sap or latex of the mole plant is poisonous and if ingested can irritate it. This causes the skin to react photosensitively and cause severe inflammation, especially if it is exposed to open wounds or your eyeballs.
The sap is carcinogenic, so it is not recommended to have continuous or routine contact with the sap. This is dangerous and can cause unwanted problems.
Not only the leaves and stems, the seeds are also poisonous
During pregnancy and breastfeeding do not come close to mole plants.
If overdosed, it causes mouth burning, diarrhea, nausea, pallor, dilated pupils, cold, stiffness, vertigo, delirium, cold sweat, hot flashes, cramps and chills.
Mole or Euphorbia Lathyris is a herbaceous plant that lives freely in the wild. It is considered a poisonous weed in several countries. However, the mole plant also has many health benefits because it is rich in antioxidants and anti-cancer, anti-tumor substances and can treat fluid retention (swelling of the body due to fluids).
However, in its use must be careful, if you are under the supervision of a health professional, consult before using it. If you experience problems after consuming drugs from this plant, contact your doctor immediately. This content does not invite you to act, but provides knowledge for you to know that nature provides many benefits for our health. However, be careful when using it.