This time we will talk about Spam, some people like spam and some people don’t like it. Are you a fan of Spam or are you one who doesn’t like it like me? But on this occasion we will talk about Spam, especially how to freeze Spam or Can we freeze it?
Whatever your opinion about Spam, it is clear that Spam is a canned food that many people like, especially non-Muslims because Spam is made from pork. Even for some people, spam for him is something that should not be lost in the kitchen.
Perhaps one of the reasons why they like Spam is because it is cheap, simple and versatile. Even though this canned meat is simple, it is always included in various recipes.
For example, Spam is used for instant cooking, like you cook breakfast, this is also the reason why this Spam became popular. This is canned food, of course it can last a long time, but if you have opened the can, do you want to keep it longer or have to finish it if you have opened the can. Can you freeze spam for longer storage?
Well, for a question, can you save spam? Of course, it’s perfectly safe to freeze spam and you can use it for a long time. It is even said that if you store it properly, spam can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
For those of you who don’t know how to freeze it, keep going with this article because we will provide step by step steps to freeze Spam, hopefully it will be useful and increase our knowledge.
What Is Spam?
Some say that spam is bad meat like hot dogs, we don’t know what meat is made of. This is a misunderstanding because spam meat can tell us what it is made of. This is canned pork that is simple and inexpensive and can last a long time.
Ok, to clear up this misunderstanding, we need to explain what Spam is made of so that many people know about the real facts of Spam.
Also see: 10 Best Health Benefits of Ashitaba
By knowing what it is made of, we can also find out how long this meat can be stored. Well, as quoted from several sources, Spam is made of the following materials.
- Potato Starch
- Sodium Nitrite
Well, it turns out that there is nothing mysterious here, Spam is made of Ham, pork, and several other ingredients.
The presence of potato starch is a binding agent that ensures all ingredients are sticky and do not come off. Meanwhile, sugar and salt are useful for adding flavor to the mixture and can increase shelf life. In Spam is the content of sodium nitrite, this is the most important element in Spam, it acts as a preservative, it can also maintain the taste and color and prevent the meat from rotting.
Salt and sugar work together in preserving Spam meat, the trick is to inhibit the growth of bacteria, and stop the oxidation process that usually occurs in fats and lipids in meat. As with potato starch, it is not only useful as a binder but also as an agent to ensure the taste, texture and viscosity of the meat. This flour also acts to prevent changes to the meat such as acidity and temperature.
Well, to keep Spam fresh, proper storage is very important. When storing, place the can in a dark and dry place. If you find a leak in the can, then all you have to do is throw it away, because the risks are not worth the benefits.
How to Save Leftover Spam?
From the little picture above, we know how Spam can last a long time. However, this should be explained in more detail when the spam is unpacked. When you open the package, of course there is a change in the air in the meat, this will accelerate the change in the meat.
So, to be able to store Spam properly, you must know how to properly store Spam so that it lasts longer.
What exactly should you do with leftover Spam?
There are two options that you can do with Spam that you are already missing. You have to have between freezing it and refrigerating it. You’ll need to take one of these, as leaving the leftover meat at room temperature will speed it up.
Ok, we need to know how to refrigerate it and how to freeze Spam properly.
Freeze Spam (Step by Step)
Freezing spam is one way you can do to extend the remaining life of spam that you have opened the can.
In fact freezing is the most effective way to preserve Spam. So, how to freeze it, whether to put it back in the can and freeze it? Well, for that now pay attention step by step to freeze your Spam.
Want to freeze Spam, Follow the steps below:
- Cut your spam. The first thing is to divide the rest of your spam into sections. So in this way when you want to consume it, you don’t need to take a block of meat to thaw, you can thaw as needed without disturbing the meat in other packages.
- Use a plastic bag that can be sealed. The inside of the freezer bag should be lined with wax paper. Well, this way Spam won’t stick to the bag and won’t stick to each other after being in the freezer.
- Place Spam in a freezer-safe and sealable bag. You should note that the seal bag should not be filled with too much Spam. Make one storage portion for each seal bag, this will make it easier for you when you take it as needed.
- Label the Spam storage bag. Make the freeze date clear so you know how long it can last and when you have to spend it. We often forget which meat has been in the freezer for a long time and which has not. Well, with a label, this will help us to recognize it.
- Place the bag/bag filled with Spam in the freezer. If you store several bags or seal bags, then store them in an organized manner in the freezer. This is to prevent you from forgetting where you put it in the freezer. When the stored meat in the freezer is completely frozen, it will be difficult for you to recognize it properly. Now, you have to do small things like that, for example, stacking them together, labeling them and so on.
How long does Spam last in the freezer?
After storing your Spam, maybe now you are wondering how long your Spam lasts in the freezer. Well, if you have followed the steps correctly, you should not have to worry.
If stored properly, your Spam will last for 3 months. But if you let it freeze continuously, then your Spam will last much longer.
Spam freezes like this are meant for long term storage. If you only want to keep it for about a week, then freezing is not an alternative because when you thaw it, it gets very tedious. Maybe you should take other alternatives such as refrigerating Spam in the refrigerator.
Refrigerating Leftover Spam
This is the second storage method you can try. Of course, this method is for short-term storage. This method is to cool using the refrigerator, if you do it right, then your Spam can maintain its quality up to 4 days to a week in the refrigerator.
So, it is important to know the storage conditions because this affects the shelf life of a food. There are two ways to cool this down.
The first cooling method is much simpler, it just uses the can, put the remaining Spam in the can and cover with cling wrap. While the second cooling method must use food containers.
The first method certainly doesn’t require much effort, and having this instant method certainly has its drawbacks. However, all of this is up to you, but wait a minute, seeing the second method is also not as difficult as imagined, so you should choose the second method. Apart from this being able to maintain quality is also not too complicated as imagined. Looks like you should try the second method!
To keep your Spam fresh and delicious, then choose the second method and see step by step below.
- Cut your spam for convenience when retrieving it at a later date. Divide your Spam into two equal parts. This will make it easier for you to take it later, without having to bother with all the spam, you only take the portion that you will use.
- Prepare a plastic container that can be sealed. Take some wax paper to coat the bottom of the sealing plastic.
- Put the rest of the Spam in this plastic container, making sure the slices are evenly spaced.
- Put the container in the refrigerator, place it in an accessible part of the refrigerator. It’s important you pay attention, so that when you take it you don’t have to grope around in the refrigerator.
Well, so this second cooling method is the same as the freezing method we described above.
The difference between freezing and refrigeration is in terms of the quality that is maintained. If we freeze it, the freshness of the meat can still be maintained for a long time. Refrigeration can not maintain the quality of the meat like that, it only keeps the meat delicious to eat for a week.